As promised, I am publishing the recipe for homemade vanilla buttercream frosting for the yummiest, moistest chocolate cupcakes you will ever make.
I got the original recipe for this frosting from The Farm Chicks (thefarmchicks.typepad.com) and modified it only a little bit.
Moist Chocolate Cupcakes
Follow the recipe EXACTLY as described here on The Farm Chicks
The only thing you need to note, which she didn’t write in there, is this: DO NOT fill the cupcakes past half full. If you do, they will overflow. That’s fine if you are just making them for you and your family, but if you want to show them off, stop filling halfway. The batter is watery because of the 1 cup boiling water that is added; that water is necessary to make the cupcakes moist. Don’t skip that part, either!
Homemade Vanilla Buttercream Frosting
I LOVE this recipe for vanilla buttercream. I am not a frosting person, either. But it’s so creamy and perfectly sweet without being overly sweet. It sort of melts in your mouth.
Here is the modified recipe. The original one called for 1/3 cup butter and 3 1/2 cups powdered sugar. Mine calls for more of both.
- 1 cup butter
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 additional cup powdered sugar
- Bring the butter to room temperature. For me, this meant letting it sit out for about an hour. It should be very soft.
- Beat or mix (I simply hand mix) the butter until creamy.
- Add the vanilla until well-blended.
- Add 1 cup powdered sugar and beat/mix until well-blended. Continue, 1 cup of powdered sugar at a time, until 3 cups have been added and blended well.
- Add the milk and blend well.
- Add the remaining powdered sugar, a little at a time, until it reaches the consistency that you like.