It was girls weekend in Collingwood this past weekend and we had a BLAST! 5 of my closest friends that I’ve known since the early 1980’s and I laughed, hiked up the mountain, partied, ate/drank too much, and significantly boosted the local economy of Collingwood! Like all good times, it’s sad when the fun ends but we promised each other we’d plan 4 weekend getaways each year: Spring, Summer, Fall & Winter. Luckily a friend of ours owns a beautiful condominium in the Blue Mountain Village and has offered to host this quarterly event.
1. Most women in their 50’s have a tough time getting a good night’s sleep. This was a revelation to me because I can sleep anytime and anywhere, however, I am clearly the exception. My four friends were up endlessly in the night despite lots of fresh air and exercise all weekend. Hormones are clearly to blame!
2. It’s hard being single in your 50’s! One of my girlfriends is single and she was very open about what it’s like being single in the era of online dating services and the social media network. You would think these services would make the dating pool larger and, thereby, easier to meet others but it seems as if it’s created an environment where some dishonourable people crawl the sites looking to exploit singles. Obviously there are plenty of people genuinely interested in finding lifetime partners but the few “bad eggs” are spoiling it for others.
3. There’s a lot to talk about! My friend who was hosting the event was originally concerned about whether or not there would be enough for us to do over the weekend. Clearly that was not the case! When you’re with good friends, just having the opportunity to talk endlessly is priceless!
4. We’re still just as close. Even though we don’t see as much of each other as we’d like because our lives are busy, it’s as if no time has lapsed whenever we get together.
5. Even though we’re all in our 50’s, sex is still a very popular topic!
One more thing: I was reminded that it’s important to take breaks from work. Because I own my own business, it’s easy to work 7 days a week. That said, when I do walk away from Tail Wags Helmet Covers for short periods of time, I’m more efficient and energized for what lies ahead of me when I get back!
When was the last time you escaped with friends for a much needed mini vacation? I’d love to hear your thoughts on what you learned or were reminded of during your getaway.